Pages

Saturday 9 November 2013

Dreyfus Cafe (E5 0NS)

19 Lower Clapton Rd, London E5 0NS
http://www.dreyfuscafe.co.uk/

I came here with no expectations, which is often the best way to have a new experience. Keep an open mind and don't prejudge (or so I am told by people who meditate). 

Ben and I spotted Dreyfus bakery/cafe one day while driving through the area, and made a note of it for a future visit, as it looked nice from the outside.

When I was in primary school my teacher had the class write the word "nice" on a piece of paper. We then put this paper into an empty matchbox (I promise there is a point to this story). 

Anyway, the whole class was ushered outside to the school's rose garden where we dug a hole, buried the matchbox and held a funeral for the word "nice". Our teacher told us that we could no longer describe things as "nice" and had to find alternative adjectives. 

To this day, I still avoid using that word whenever possible. But I will make an exception for this review, as the term "nice" is an appropriate descriptor for this cafe.

There is nothing to offend at Dreyfus. The decor is uncontroversial and conservative, a la House & Garden magazine, with wood panelled walls painted in soothing sage tones. 

Jazz music played at just the right (unobtrusive) volume, lending the cafe an understated air of sophistication.

My cake is bigger than Ben's

The cake selection was not extensive, but I was very satisfied with my large slice of carrot cake with crushed pistachio and orange icing. I had a taste of Ben's walnut and fig, and my only criticism is that it was a tad cold, being fresh out of the fridge.

The cafe overlooks the pretty Clapton Square, so a spot by the window is a must.

It is a "nice" place to relax and ponder life's big questions. Or meditate. 

Personally I think the owners have played it a bit too safe with the decor, and the sum of its parts is a little on the bland side.

Dreyfus just needs a few finishing touches to give it a defining identity, because there are more worthy adjectives to which it could aspire.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating