Pages

Saturday 23 November 2013

Juliet's (TN1 1XF)

54 High St, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1XF 
http://julietsandmore.com/ 

What drew me into Juliet’s was the tallest, largest slice of Victoria Sponge cake I’ve ever seen, presented on a high pedestal in the window display. I am personally not a fan of Victoria Sponge, but I am a fan of large slices of cake, so my visit to this café was a fait accompli.

Juliet’s is located on the very upper class High Street in Royal Tunbridge Wells, a short walk from the Pantiles. If you’re in the market for high end estate jewellery, this is the place to come. The café is hugely popular, and the flow of customers did not let up during the time we were there.

Monster cake
Finding a free table required a bit of clever manoeuvring, but we managed it in the end and squashed ourselves into a corner table with barely enough room to breathe. 

It was only at the conclusion of our visit, when I ventured upstairs to use the amenities, that I discovered an upstairs seating area, complete with another cake and coffee counter that replicated the one downstairs! 

So don’t despair if there are no available seats downstairs. You won’t have to resort to stand-over tactics to hurry people out. Not that I would ever do something like that. Honestly!

Tea is served in marvelous tea pots; mine was so huge that I could not drink the 5th cup of tea that it would have yielded. As it was, our drive back to London necessitated a “comfort break” after the 3 cups I downed. Stingy they ain’t.


My slice of cake was comparatively modest (size-wise) in comparison, but very enjoyable. Ben’s banana loaf was nicely topped with icing embedded with crunchy banana pieces.

There are good cafes and then there are great cafes, and Juliet’s is one to aspire to.

And if you think you could never be scared of a slice of cake, then you’ve not seen their sponge.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating