Pages

Saturday 23 November 2013

Lamingtons (RH1 4PA)

Lamingtons
High Street, Bletchingley, Surrey RH1 4PA

 I love a good country tea room. Unfortunately they are in short supply. To clarify… there are plenty of country tea rooms, just few good ones.

And for those who don’t know what a Lamington is, it’s an Australian dessert featuring a square of sponge cake coated in a layer of chocolate icing and desiccated coconut. I think they’re disgusting and I avoid them like the plague.


So it was a pleasure to visit Lamingtons and find that (1) it is one of the few good country tea rooms out there and (2) they did not serve their unfortunate namesake.

What I found instead was an utterly gorgeous gift shop and café, filled with delectable home-baked cakes, an assortment of Charbonnel-et-Walker chocolates and pretty trinkets for the home.

The service was very slow, but I didn’t mind. Unlike many cafes I’ve been to that are clearly over-staffed (sometimes with more staff than customers!), this was clearly a one- or two-man show. 
 
Freshly baked every day
To bake all those cakes every day and then run the shop takes a lot of time and effort, so I could forgive them for keeping us waiting, particularly as the service was exceedingly polite and friendly.

And in any case, it was a pleasure to wait in such beautiful surroundings. If I rated cafes solely on décor, Lamingtons would get 11 out of 10.


My slice of chocolate cake was very good; moist, with chunks of chocolate. Ben’s brownie was served slightly warm, so the chocolate icing on top oozed a little in your mouth. I loved the crockery too. The only let down was Ben’s rather average coffee.

So if you’re a fan of rare breeds, then get yourself out into the countryside and treat yourself to a Lamington.


CakeMyDayLondon Rating