Pages

Saturday 30 November 2013

Café Vagabond (N4 3SG)

8 Osborne Road, Unit 20 Charter Court Stroud Green Road N4 3SG
@VagabondN4

There are not too many cafes one can go to where the all-male waiting staff yell “I said TABLE 2, goddamnit” to each other, and the customers all laugh heartily at the banter. Café Vagabond is such a place.

It is trés casual, trés minimal and trés busy. The cake selection is relatively minimal, so probably not the best place to come if you’re after frilly heavily-iced delights. 


I thought that 5 people working behind the counter was slight over-kill for such a tiny place. This ratio worked out to about 1 staff member per 4 or 5 customers which is far too many.

The raisin bread was good according to Ben and since it cost only £1 it’s hardly worth critiquing. He declared the coffee as “fine”.

I had carrot cake, and it was passable. Not brilliant, but satisfactory. It was inexpensive. The tea, however, was very good. Aromatic and flavoursome… and given I’m generally a fairly undiscerning tea drinker that’s quite a compliment coming from me. I regret not asking them what blend they used. 

I don't know these people.
This café feels slightly clandestine for some reason, like it would be a great venue for plotting a resistance. Or maybe writing a historical novel. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating