Pages

Sunday 17 November 2013

The Parlour (N16 0UL)

167 Stoke Newington Church St, London N16 0UL 

If I was the sort of person who lives for cafes then The Parlour is an example of the sort of cafe I live for.

It seems to be a trend that Ben and I discover cafes while en route to other cafes. When you find one such as The Parlour this can only be a good thing. I spotted this one due to its array of cakes displayed in the front window (a fantastic marketing ploy - take note cafe owners).
The Ghost of CakeMyDayLondon lurks in the window
Stoke Newington Church Street was an unexpected surprise, lined with an interesting array of shops (homewares, clothing, books), cafes (to feature in future blogs) and a heaving butcher's with queues out the door that is clearly the place to be for meat lovers (www.meatlondon.co.uk). 

The interior of The Parlour is tiny, but there is also a small courtyard out the back. Fortunately we were able to get a table inside where it was warm and cozy. 

Even better, on the bookshelf next to our table was a stuffed toy bear, and the next shelf up had a plush hand puppet dog on a toy typewriter. Exactly what I look for in a cafe. 


Their service is super fast. I'd barely sat down when my tea arrived. In fact, it was so fast that my first thought was that I'd received another customer's order. I was very impressed with their order-to-service delivery speed - no mucking around here.

I'm usually wary of ordering red velvet cake, since the red is achieved with food colouring and if the mix is not right the cake can sometimes have a chemical taste. 

Nothing to worry about here though. 


The cake was divine. I can't rave about it enough.

The cake was divine. I can't rave about it enough. 

The cake was divine. I can't rave about it enough.

(is three times enough?)

I'll be returning again to Stoke Newington Church Street to review some of the other cafes in the area, but I just might have another slice of The Parlour's red velvet cake while I'm at it.
 
CakeMyDayLondon Rating