Pages

Sunday 24 November 2013

Bienvenue Café (N16 7NY)

110 Stoke Newington High Street, London, N16 7NY
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bienvenue/528732347220672


Willkommen, bienvenue and welcome to Bienvenue café.

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that I was going to come here after I spotted their window display. For what could be better than a large selection of slices of cake? A large collection of individual mini cakes, that’s what.

I was hard pressed to make a decision because they all looked so delectable.

So I stuck with my trusty favourite, carrot cake.



I did have a moment of cake envy however, when Ben’s apple crumble mini cake came served with his own mini pot of custard. 

After he saw my crestfallen expression he generously allowed me to snaffle some of the custard for my carrot cake, so I was appeased and harmony was restored.

The café is huge, probably to accommodate the on-site bakery. All the cakes are made on the premises, as well as a selection of breads and other goodies.

The cafe could use a bit more pizzazz (queue jazz hands) as the décor is rather Spartan and the space comes across as rather bare and lacking in personality. 

The owners did turn on some music during our visit, but this seemed more of an after-thought, and the silence in between hung awkwardly in the air.
 
Bienvenue only opened early October, so I assume these touches are a work in progress. 

 
Ben recommends giving the coffee a pass as it’s is “very average” (perhaps some training is in order?).

You will certainly get a warm welcome from the staff at Bienvenue – they were absolutely lovely.

If you think life is a cabaret, come taste the cake, your table's waiting.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating