Pages

Sunday 17 November 2013

Lazy Social (N16 0PH)

101 Stoke Newington High Street, Stoke Newington N16 0PH 


Stoke Newington is not an area I'm familiar with. Ben and I were en route to another destination, but while driving down the High Street our attention was grabbed by the presence of some enticing looking cafes, so we decided to stop and check out the situation.

There were a few viable options in the vicinity for caking, so this won't be the last post about the area (it's very exciting to discover a new locale!). On this occasion we agreed to sample the offerings at Lazy Social.

There is a lot to like about Lazy Social. The name, for one. What a great name for a cafe, right? Who doesn't want to go to a cafe to be (1) lazy and (2) social.

The decor is nicely done as well, from the external facade to the inside which features a bike rack (decorative as well as functional), wooden flooring and old wooden school tables and chairs.
 

This bike may have been purely ornamental

The internal space is of a good size - I think they could even fit in a few more seats if they rearranged the layout.

A decent range of cakes are attractively displayed on an open counter top at the rear of the cafe, alongside a gigantic coffee machine.

The service, however, was a little odd.
  • There were quite a few staff members milling around the counter not doing a lot.
  • My cake was handed to me on a plate at the counter after we placed our order, so I had to take it to our table myself. Ben awkwardly hung around waiting for his cake to be handed to him, until he was told to go sit down and they brought it out later. 
  • Cutlery is self-service.

 
A teaspoon with which to stir my tea would have been nice (rather than a wooden stick).
The cakes were not really up to scratch to be honest. They were OK, but lacked any wow factor. The coffee was ranked similarly. The milk for my tea was served in a small paper cup, similar to ones used to give urine samples - it felt a little cheap.

I'm not sure how long this cafe has been open, but it feels like they have their training wheels on. I hope they get up to speed soon, because I believe this place has a lot of potential and I wish them all the best. 

I'm on the fence with this one. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating