Pages

Saturday 12 October 2013

The London Particular (SE14 6LA)

399 New Cross Rd, London, Greater London SE14 6LA
http://www.thelondonparticular.co.uk/

I struggled with this review, mostly due to lack of cake sampling content.

No-one can deny the popularity of this place. My husband’s cycling “crew” meet up here for pre- or post- rides. It always gets great write-ups. People say the coffee is great. Really great.

The problem for me is that I like to sleep in on weekends. While Ben will get up at the crack of dawn to go for a 4-hour 120 km ride on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I usually prefer to spend these mornings asleep in bed. 

Some days I’ve been known to sleep in past 11am, by which time Ben has already been out for his ride and come home. He knows not to wake me… I’m not a morning person. I’m not a night person either. I like to think of myself as more of a middle-of-the-day person.

So what on earth does this have to do with The London Particular?

Well, as I stated above, the London Particular is popular. Ergo, their cakes sell out early. So by the time I visit (in the early afternoon) most of their cakes are gone, leaving only a few sad loafy things.

I thought I should leave a piece for the other dinner guests to share. 
So it was with pleasure that I attended a birthday dinner party recently at the London Particular. 

For dessert they baked an upside down plum cake (a special request), which came served with bowls of warm custard. The cake was utterly sublime. The addition of custard transported me to gustatory heaven. 

The setting was helped by a few glasses of wine and some cocktails thrown into the mix. And great company of course.

I therefore resolve to set the alarm clock one Saturday morning in the near future for an early(ish) rise. The prospect of cake may be all the motivation I need.

As they say, the early bird catches the cake. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating