Pages

Sunday 29 June 2014

Anderson & Co (SE15 4DH)

139 Bellenden Road
Peckham SE15 4DH
http://www.andersonandcompany.co.uk

Following hot on the heels of our visit to Petitou, Ben and I decided to return to Peckham and sample the delights of another cool cafe just around the corner.

Anderson & Co is a bit like the Tardis; small on the outside, but surprisingly large on the inside.



The shop front is unassuming, with a counter along one wall topped with goodies and seating opposite.

The first room opens up into a second, narrow room, with a galley kitchen and more seating. But the piece de resistance is the gorgeous little foliage-filled courtyard out the back. This has plenty of space for diners, and is fully covered (always a bonus given the UK's unpredictable weather).



On the day we visited it started to rain, but we remained snug and dry, listening to the gentle drumming of rain falling on the roof. All in all, the setting was extremely relaxing and reminded me a little of a Moroccan Riad.



A decent selection of cakes and pastries was on offer, despite the lateness of our visit. I opted for a vividly coloured slice of the red velvet cake. While it was tasty, I found it to be a tad on the dry side, but this could have been due to it being close to the end of the day and not as fresh as it would have been in the morning.



My tea came in a giant pot, yielding 2.5 cupfuls of the good stuff. Ben enjoyed his coffee, pronouncing it "very good".

I must say that I've enjoyed my recent exploration of Peckham's cafes and I can't wait to see what other gems I find in the area.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating