Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

119 Lower Clapton (E5 0NP)

119 Lower Clapton Rd
London E5 0NP 

Naming your cafe after your cafe's address is pure genius and saves wasting money on signage. This is a bonus when you are on a tight budget, which is the impression I got from the interior design of 119 Lower Clapton.

But to be clear, I'm not criticising their fit out. Quite the contrary in fact. I admired them for creating a light and airy space, with a modern twist with such a simple premise.

The key I think is that there is no pretence here. Their tables are raw and glorious chipboard, with simple white chairs. The floor looks like it might be mdf, painted a matt grey. White walls are adorned with a selection of colourful artwork that is for sale. 

Clean white paper lampshades hang from the ceilings, the electrical ducting on show. Large windows look out onto the street, with no fancy embellishments or decoration on the exterior of the shop front.


Even the crockery is light and airy - clear Perspex cups, saucers and plates. Ben didn't like them, but I thought they complimented the minimalist and unfussy style exceedingly well.

There was a broad range of cakes and slices on offer, and I struggled to make my choice as it all looked so tempting. I selected a courgette and lime slice, but truth be told I was a little disappointed. I found it a tad bland, and not as good as that served at Franze & Evans. I regretted not ordering the cardamom and raspberry chocolate cake... maybe next time.


Ben selected a simple slice of toasted banana loaf, which was served with a hulking great slab of butter on the side. Knowing that the butter would be re-refrigerated and re-served to the next customer, and knowing that we were the next customer after the customer before us was not a pleasant thought . It would have been better to be given a little dish with a smaller serve of butter on the side, or even the option of individual single-serve packets. 

A communal butter dish is really off-putting unless you're at someone's house, and that someone is a good friend or relative, and even then it's not ideal.

Ever a man of few words, Ben declared the coffee "Good", which is in actuality a glowing recommendation from him.

All in all, I would go back. 119 Lower Clapton is simple and refreshing, like a glass of Pimms on a warm summer's day. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating