Pages

Sunday 12 October 2014

Tried & True Café (SW15 6SP)

279 Upper Richmond Rd, Putney SW15 6SP 
http://www.triedandtruecafe.co.uk/ 

Ben insisted on bringing me to Tried & True, as it’s a regular stop on his “Richmond Park Cycle Route” whenever he’s down this way. I’d already caked earlier in the day, so wasn’t sure whether I could squeeze in another, but I was sold when I saw the red velvet cake sitting temptingly on the counter.

 

Tried and True is a great example of what can be achieved with a limited budget in a large space. The décor is extremely simple, unfussy, clean and uncluttered. It doesn’t try to fill up the space with lots of stuff, but allows it to breathe. There’s enough detailing in the lights and colourful chairs to stop it feeling stark and austere without going over the top.

 

As a plus, there is also a courtyard garden out the back, and lots of cycle rack space at the front (hence its popularity with cyclists).

Ben is completely in love with their blue coffee machine. If we had the space at home I have a strong suspicion he would beg me for one. I’m not sure whether it’s the brand that appeals most, or the colour.



The cake was wonderful, as was the cheeky chocolate brownie we ordered on the side. The serving of tea was generous to a fault. Ben rates the coffee highly (he says they do the best flat whites he's had in London) and I am a fan of the heart-shaped coffee art (if there’s a technical name for this I don’t know it).

Ben also asked me to mention that the service is always attentive and friendly every time he's visited.
 


Overall, it was an enjoyable visit with nothing to complain about except that I didn’t have more room in my stomach for another slice of cake!

CakeMyDayLondon Rating