Pages

Saturday 25 October 2014

Java & Jazz (RH18 5ES)

The Square, Lewes Rd, Forest Row RH18 5ES 
http://www.javaandjazz.co.uk/

I’d never heard of Forest Row before I came to this café. The tiny town (if you can even call it that), sits between Royal Tunbridge Wells and Crawley, south east of East Grinstead. And even if I had come through here, I probably wouldn’t have thought to stop at a café. And even if I had stopped at a café, I may not have stopped at Java & Jazz.

So fortunately for me, my visit here wasn’t mere luck and happenstance. This café is on one of Ben’s “country cycle routes”, so he brought me here with the express purpose of sharing with me this hidden gem.


The café has a respectable, sweet and stylistically safe exterior, complete with a tiny ice-creamery tucked down one side and bench seating out the front. There is seating upstairs (which I didn’t get to see), as well as on the ground floor to the left of the front door (with the counter to the right). 

The downstairs area is a juxtaposition between the café side décor (unremarkable and more pizzeria than café) versus the counter side décor (cutesy cottagey). 
 

What sets this café apart is the mouth-watering array of home-made cakes on offer. They are all laid out beautifully on cake stands along a counter, with hand written heart-shaped labels tied with colourful string.

I was hard pressed to make a selection, and we chose three between us (although I really wanted five cakes, even I have to draw the line somewhere).


The Chocolate Seville Orange slice was rich, dense and almost earthy – not bad for being wheat and gluten free. The Passion Cake was delectable, moist and topped with exquisite icing, while the Lemon Polenta slice was lemony and delicious. 

Someone really knows how to bake! I was extremely impressed, and had an internal battle as to whether or not I should cave in and order a slice of the Tunisian Orange, but the chocolate slice finished me off.

Usually when a place in the heart of the English countryside does cakes so well its coffee tends to be disappointing, but not here. Ben gave it a favourable review.

To top off the visit, we had the friendliest customer service you could hope for, particularly from the lovely lady behind the counter who explained that the chocolate slice was one of their newest offerings (and I predict it’s going to become a very popular one at that) and asked us all about our plans for the day.

If you’re in the neighbourhood and fancy a treat, then Java & Jazz would be just the ticket. But be warned – come on an empty stomach!

CakeMyDayLondon Rating