Pages

Sunday 31 August 2014

The Green Room Cafe (N16 0UD)

113 Stoke Newington Church Street
Stoke Newington N16 0UD
http://www.greenroomcafe.co.uk/

I must have walked past The Green Room quite a few times  before I realised there was a café out the back of the shop.


Walking through the front plant and flower filled room takes you to the spacious café, overlooking the rear garden. It’s light and bright inside with a modest selection of cakes along the tiny bar.
 

The café comes into its own once you step outside. The outdoor space is huge (in comparison to many courtyard garden cafes), with “exposed” seating arranged around a paved courtyard, plus “covered” seating tucked in nooks under a large pergola surrounded by hedges and vines. A pleasant place to sit on a warm summer’s day, if you don’t mind crowds.


The cake selection was small on my visit, and I wasn’t overjoyed by my lemon drizzle cake – it was dry and lacked drizzle. Ben rated the coffee as “fine”. I’ve read other reviews about the service being poor, but I didn’t feel strongly about it either way – neither great nor terrible, although perhaps a little slow (granted, it was a busy day).


Despite its potential and attractive street frontage, this café left me feeling a little underwhelmed and I won’t hurry to return. There was just something missing from the experience, but I’m not sure what.


Some parting words of caution…. The conveniences are downstairs, tucked into an obscure corner in the dining area. Don’t make the mistake Ben and I both made, which was to walk into the broom cupboard instead. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating