Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

The Convenience (E9 6DF)

Brooksby's Walk
London E9 6DF
http://theconvenience.co.uk/


The Convenience, located on cafe hub Chatsworth Road, is housed in the men's half of a former public toilet (the woman's half still remains a public loo). Sounds gross, doesn't it, but it's not. Honestly!


 

The former public convenience has been transformed into a stylish little cafe/bar. Interestingly, the cafe is run during the day by NANA (http://www.wearenana.com/). 

 

High ceilings give it a light and airy feel, with gleaming tiles in a pretty shade of pale green, and a petite bar tucked into one corner. Best of all, there is a large roof terrace that spans the length of the entire building, accessed via a flight of stairs inside.


 

On the day we visited it was dry and sunny, so we headed straight upstairs. Umbrellas provide shelter from the elements, and there is plenty of seating available from which to do some people spotting along the high street. 

 

I also spotted a BBQ tucked into a corner... a lot of potential here!

 

As far as cakes go, the selection was limited to two, thereby rendering this venue more bar than cafe. Two cakes... two people.. made the selection easy! Ben had the coffee & coconut, and I had a slice of what was described to me as "an apple-based twist on the Victoria Sponge". I can't say I loved my cake. I found it a bit dry, and lacking in oomph... it needed cream or icing just to give it some moisture.
 

 

Ben enjoyed his coffee, and I have no complaints about my tea, other than observing (not complaining) that the water was the hottest I've ever encountered and I burnt my fingers on the teapot!

I wouldn't come back here insofar as seeking a cafe experience is concerned (cake selection was just too limited). But I would recommend it as a convenient (pun intended) spot to chill out on the rooftop watching the world go by.
 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating