Pages

Sunday 6 July 2014

Fee & Brown (BR3 1AY)

50 High St
Beckenham BR3 1AY
http://feeandbrown.com/


We spotted Fee & Brown on a drive-by, and as Ben was feeling in need of a pick-me-up we decided to stop, attracted by the well-presented shop front. Although you should never judge a book by its cover, a visually appealing street presence can do a lot to draw in customers
.


Inside, the visual effect was just as pleasing, with the elegant interior painted dove grey. We sat at a bench seat along the front window, overlooking a grand church across the road. 

Ben wasn't keen on the fixed seating inside, but it didn't bother me. I guess one drawback of doing this is that it makes the interior space less flexible, so wouldn't be suitable for parties or large groups (although there is a large bench table in the back area).


 

My only critique is that they should really do something about the courtyard space out the back. It was a jungle of weeds and undergrowth, and I was surprised to learn that the cafe has been operating for 2 years. It wouldn't take much work (or money) to turn this into a fantastic outdoor dining area, and it seems such a waste not to use it, particularly over summer. 


 

As we had already caked and cafe'd at The Brockley Mess earlier in the day, I was not intending to partake of cake this visit. My resolve crumbled the instant I walked through the door of Fee & Brown. 

The cakes.. wow. An undeniably tempting selection was laid out before me, and I caved in... trading a healthy dinner in favour of a rich, delectable slice of carrot cake instead. It was moist, rich, flavoursome with a smooth butter-cream icing.
 

 

Even Ben, who has been eschewing cake in pursuit of maintaining his (cycle) racing weight decided to have a slice too, and opted for a delicious plum and ginger. Ben rated the coffee highly.

I loved the pretty, feminine, brightly coloured crockery - it's these little details that add to the aesthetic of a place and help the ordinary become extraordinary.

I would highly recommend a visit to Fee & Brown, provided you come on an empty stomach, because the cakes really are too good to resist!
 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating