Pages

Sunday 18 May 2014

Candela (E5 0QX)

159 Lower Clapton Road
London, E5 0QX

https://www.facebook.com/CandelaClapton


Candela is not strictly a cafe - it's a Latin American restaurant and bar. But they serve some cakes, and that counts for a lot on this blog. Actually, it counts for everything on this blog... no cake, no review.

I like what they've done with the place. It's a great model for cafe owners on a budget to follow.

They've not tried to hide the cracks or pretty it up too much... the concrete ceiling has chunks missing and looks pretty rough by anyone's standards. The chunky wooden floorboards have a rustic appeal - if you drop something and it falls between the cracks, it's lost to you forever. The bar area is simple, and well stocked with drinks, and the cocktail list looks fun and not too serious.
 
 
I was impressed with the effort they've put into decorating the chairs; these were lacquered with various artwork to add some colour and spark to what otherwise could have been boring pieces of furniture. 




On the whole, the effect is casual, but cool, laid back but with style.

The staff are extremely friendly and welcomed us at the door with warm smiles (I forgot for a moment that I was in London, home of the perpetual scowl!).

I opted for a slice of an intriguing (and scrumptious) banana/pear/chocolate cake. 


Ben's opinion: "Good, clean coffee".


 

Sadly, I was unable to persuade Ben to try the raspberry/chocolate/cardamon cake, and I regret not ordering a slice of this as well. Never mind... I guess that means I'll have to go back for another visit. It's a hard life.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating