Pages

Saturday 7 September 2013

Tina We Salute You (N1 4NH)

47 King Henry's Walk, London, N1 4NH

This place always features on coffee write-ups, so it was somewhere I deemed necessary to visit. Perhaps the danger in reading reviews in advance is that you expected your Mind-To-Be-Blown by the promise of fantastic cakes and cutting edge design. 

The cafe's USP is that every 8 weeks the owners take the walls back to a blank canvas and invite local artists to re-decorate the interior. The day I visited, the interior was predominantly grey and white, with only one wall covered in artwork… not striking enough for me to clearly recall (or attempt to describe) it. But even so, I do like the concept and salute them for promoting local talent.

We sat at a large communal table which made the most of the small space inside (there is seating outside along the front as well). Perplexingly there did not seem to be a washroom, so customers were directed to facilities in their friend’s pub across the road. I’m not sure whether this is a permanent arrangement or just a temporary glitch.

This scene needs more colour. Maybe a sponge cake or something?

As for the cake? I was disappointed. There was a meagre selection on offer: tiny brownies, some forlorn cupcakes and a few other miscellaneous items. To be fair, it was after 4pm on a Sunday, so maybe the selection earlier in the day would have been more inspiring. 

I opted for a gingery banana slice, which Ben took more of a liking to than did. I preferred his Amaretto crunch cake, but by the time I realised I liked his better he’d already finished it.

I think I prefer the name to the experience. Sorry. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating