Pages

Saturday 20 July 2013

Cadence (SE19 2AA)

2a Anerley Hill, London SE19 2AA
http://www.cadenceperformance.com/cafe/

I know two things about “serious” cyclists:
  1. They always moan about their weight
  2. They eat a lot of carbs. 
Sometimes, they will moan about their weight while eating carbs. And the most annoying thing is that they are not fat.

I once attended a cycling event with Ben and overheard the following conversation:
Guy 1: I tried on some skin suits, but most were too baggy in the arms.
Guy 2: What size did you end up getting?
Guy 1: Ladies small.

Which probably explains why Cadence, a bike shop, has a café area serving some of the richest, most delicious cakes you will find. My particular favourite is the raspberry and lemon sponge, but there is usually a very wicked chocolate Guinness cake on offer as well.

Unfortunately I don't have my own cake photo, but I managed to find a calorie free one online. 

During one visit I was left at a table alone, while Ben chatted at length with one of the mechanics in the workshop. I ordered two slices of cake for us to share, but by the time Ben joined me I’d demolished both and only a few lonely crumbs remained. “Don’t worry” he said, “I’ll just have a muesli bar”.

If you enjoy stuffing your face in the company of fit, toned, sweaty, shaved-legged men wearing lycra, this is the place for you. The only downside is that the coffee is (apparently) to be avoided.

Never mind the “bike workshop” aesthetic & décor, I just come here for the cake. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating