Pages

Saturday 6 December 2014

The Vintage Empire (CT6 5LE)

104 High Street
Herne Bay CT6 5LE
https://www.facebook.com/TheVintageEmpire


This is a charming 40s themed café located on the High Street of the delightful seaside town of Herne Bay. I do love themed cafes, provided they are done well, which this is. 



The décor and ambience are harmoniously consistent, with crooning 40s jazz playing on the stereo , bold floral wallpaper and crocheted blankets draped over cosy armchairs. We were transported back in time to another era, and I imagine this what the living room of many people’s grandparents looked like during those days. 


I appreciated the subtle touches such as the 1943 “Ration Book” cover on the menu, photos of Winston Churchill over the mantelpiece and old newspapers on the tables.


The cake options were limited, as we’d arrived late in the afternoon and they’d had a busy day. I had the Victoria Sponge and Ben selected a brownie. 

I’m not a huge fan of Victoria Sponge; to me it’s a cake that generally lacks moisture, and there’s something unappealing about layers of raspberry jam. I think Vintage Empire did a reasonable job with it, but the brownie was better.


I loved the ornate gold teapot, and the loose leaf tea was very good. Ben was surprised that the coffee was better than he’d expected it to be, although he was not a fan of the clear Perspex cup and saucer as he always feels this looks a bit cheap. 

The staff here are lovely and extremely friendly. It’s a popular place, with a steady stream of customers, many of whom are happy to chat with the waitresses. We overheard them saying that they planned to open the garden courtyard in summer 2015, which I’m confident will be a hit on sunny days.
 


The Vintage Empire seems to be “the place to be” in Herne Bay, and I’m looking forward to coming back in the new year. I’d better remember to bring my bathing costume.

CakeMyDayLondon Rating