Pages

Sunday 9 February 2014

Le Parc Delicatessen (N16 0UL)

191 Stoke Newington Church St, London N16 0UL 

I really wanted to go back to The Parlour for another slice of their red velvet cake, but all seats were taken and no amount of glaring at the customers would make them leave. Truth be told, I glared at no-one… instead, I hung my head in resignation, shoulders slumped, and shuffled out the door in defeat. 

But joy of joys… after a short stroll up the road, I spotted a red velvet cake, like manna from heaven, on display at Le Parc Delicatessen. 

I borrowed this picture from the internet. I promise to give it back.

The café doubles as a gourmet deli, with the store area at the front, and seating at the back as well as having a surprising wine cellar and tasting area in the basement (plus another couple of tables). 

Overall it’s a small space, but cosy and nice on a miserable winter’s day. Its location is a slight disadvantage, being right at the end of the “golden mile” of shops, and therefore at risk of being overlooked in favour of more prominently located shops and cafes. 

The style is a little hotchpotch and rustic, with no discernible theme to it other than “deli”. There isn’t anything wrong with it per se, and it’s really just a matter of personal preference. I prefer cafes with defined themes or quirks, as this helps them to stand out from the crowd.


But there can be no arguing with the cake. It was red, it was velvety, it had buttercream icing. The cake delivered on all fronts. Ben had a banana nut slice and pronounced it as “very good” and the coffee was done well.

Of all the Stokie cafes I wouldn’t rank Le Parc at the top, but it’s a safe back up plan for a rainy day. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating