Pages

Monday 2 December 2013

Sable d’Or (N8 8DT)

43 The Broadway, Crouch End, N8 8DT 

Returning to Crouch End, home of good cafes, we scoured the streets for a suitable place to review that we hadn’t been to before. I was after “serious cake”, and seeing Sable d’Or’s mini cake display I was sold. 


The café is long and narrow, with tables along one side opposite the open kitchen, and then opens into a larger dining area in the back. Unfortunately our table was near the toilet door which people kept leaving open.

I was disappointed that the apricot crumble came unaccompanied (I had a hankering for custard), so I opted for the chocolate orange cake instead. I was not disappointed with this; it was orangey, moist and dense. It was also expensive (£4.10 to eat in)... the price of quality I guess. 
 
Tastes better than it looks in the photo

Ben had brioche, which doesn’t count as cake in my opinion (Ben failed to uphold his end of the cake bargain). But he gave the brioche two thumbs up, saying that it was exactly how it should be, so there you go. Coffee was good (this is a compliment coming from Ben).

Sable d’Or is a very safe bet for a cake venture. It won’t blow your socks off with personality or its décor, but the staff are friendly and polite, and the cake is excellent. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating